When it comes to defining team leadership, there are several characteristics that could make a positive impact. Business classes from colleges online are available for people who want to learn more business leadership skills. In addition to the above points, the following are some of the characteristics of a good team leader:
1. Decision Making Abilities: This might be by far the most important characteristic that a team might want in a person who would lead them. There are several scenarios in the professional world which require a level-headed person to make various decisions. These decisions basically make or break the team’s work as well as the person’s career. Therefore, these decisions have to be made with extreme care and caution. Only an experienced individual would be capable of making such decisions.
2. Lead from the Front: Gone are the days when the leaders would be cooped up in administrative rooms while the real action would take place at the battle front. In the corporate world, unless the leader gets down to the brass tacks with the team members, the leader would not be respected.
3. Balance between personal life and professional life: With the fast paced times, professional and personal lives are quickly overlapping each other. Therefore, it is necessary for a leader to understand the difference between the two and pay respect to the team member’s personal life as well as professional growth.
4. Serve as an Example: This is also quite am important aspect of being a leader of a team. Only if a leader acts as an example, would the leader be respected enough to be given the proper respect as a leader. Being an example can be anything, right from the way they work, to the way they make professional decisions. Serving as an example is not easy in this fast paced world, but one can always try.
5. Forgive, but do not forget: No employee can ever say that they have not made mistakes in their professional life. A good leader would remember these mistakes and try to make sure that the said individual does not make the same mistake again. However, the leader should also keep in mind that this employee should not be unnecessarily persecuted for the mistake.
6. Cohesive force: Finally, the leader should be a cohesive force between all the team members. In a professional atmosphere, it is a miracle that all the people in a team are on good terms with each other. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the leader to make sure that all of them are comfortable with each other and have a working relationship that makes the team a productive one instead of a team that is wracked by problems.
I am obsessed about leadership. What it is and how to become better at it. I try each day to become a better leader and would like to share my knowledge with you. For more information on leadership, be sure to check out my website on how to be a leader. It has valuable resources and if you choose to join the leadership club, it can literally change your life.